October 29, 2012

Handmade Halloween

I love Halloween. Cute costumes, trick-or-treating, and the overall beginning of "the holidays." Every other time of year, I end up talking myself out of gimmicky outfits and costume pictures of the kids. For Halloween, though, we go all out! I feel like it's such a fun part of being little.

This year, my crew is going as Sesame Street characters. I decided on this because of a special request from a special little girl to be Abby Cadabby. For now, at least, I can default the boys to whatever matches Laney's costume. I'm doing this while I can, because I know before too long they'll insist on being a cheerleader, a ninja turtle, and a zombie. Or some other similar combination that doesn't coordinate at all. And I guess I'll have to let them. Sigh.

But back to now. I'm so excited about this little Halloween trio! And since I have this new love for crochet, I decided to make some Elmo and Cookie Monster hats using this pattern. They were way cheap to make. {It shouldn't be hard for you to guess which little chunky monkey is going to be Cookie Monster!} I planned on making the Abby Cadabby one, too, but chickened out last minute and ordered it from the lady who sells the patterns. It looked too difficult for my beginner skills. After seeing it in real life, though, I should have gone for it. Oh, and I also made a tutu for the Abby costume. It's the first tutu I've ever made, but it was SO EASY and fun to make.

I'm completely anticipating that the kids will not cooperate or sit still for a picture once they're all dressed up, so I'm just going to show you the hats beforehand. On some footballs. Because they can't run away.







SIDE NOTE:
Our church asked us to seriously consider whether or not our families should participate in this holiday considering its roots in the occult (in a flyer, not like personally contacted our specific family haha). And I completely understand where the church leadership is coming from on this. I absolutely believe in satan and demons and spiritual warfare. I can really see both sides of this issue. It's certainly something I'll think about and pray about as our kids get older!

2 comments:

Nat said...

You did such a wonderful job Mel! I love the pictures you sent me of the kids recently and love this crafty post!

Bethany Phillip said...

Oh my, you are so talented.. I'm amazed at your crocheting skills! And, your sweet kiddos are adorable!

Post a Comment