August 23, 2012

Crazy for Crochet

I don't do change well. I never have. And we're about to be shifting into a different kind of schedule starting next week. Laney is starting her new preschool on Tuesday and the boys are starting Mother's Day Out at our church the next week. Then, Laney is starting ballet the next week (I. Am. So. Excited). I know these changes seem pretty little and silly to be nervouse about, but I am. My "babies" are all so little still and throwing a new thing at them just kind of rocks their worlds. I worry about dropping them off at these new places for the first time and I worry that they will feel scared and feel like I'm abandoning them. I KNOW that by the second week of this new schedule, they'll all be totally fine and loving life, but I'm still just anxious about it all. I guess it's just part of mama-hood.

I've always been a busy bee and need something to be "doing" at all times, especially when I'm nervous about something. I guess I just need something to take my mind off the uneasiness. This time around, I decided to try to learn to crochet, and can I just tell you, I'm going crochet cRaZy. I can't stop. I don't know very many stitches yet, but have been spending a lot of time watching 80-year-old ladies on YouTube and I think I'm getting the general hang of it. The thing that amazes me the most is that these old ladies can not only work computers, but know how to post videos to YouTube! Go girls! I'm certain I have already technologically peaked and am on a steady decline at age 25. And who am I kidding? I probably couldn't figure out how to post on YouTube NOW. So, go Grannies go!


At first, I just worked on a bunch of little scrap pieces practicing different crochet stitches (like single, double, and half double). I finally finished my actual first "project" two days ago! And it didn't take very long at all! Perfect project for this fickle crafter.

It's a cowl. Which is funny because I seriously always thought shirts had "cow" necks until I read the word in this pattern and had a little epiphany that they're called COWL neck shirts. Mind. Blown. I mean, it makes sense, now. Nothing about it looks like a cow. I really am the dumbest smart person ever. Ha.

1 comments:

Lauren J. said...

haha! I love this.
what an awesome skill :) i'm jealous!

Post a Comment